It would be really nice if the schools would incorporate some life skills into their syllabus. These are some of the valuable lessons that I would like to see:
1. Pantry Science: In this course, students will learn how to roll a cereal bag and secure the box to ensure freshness. There will be a (taste) test of both fresh and stale cereals. Advanced course includes cracker boxes, bread bags and cheese packages. There will be a field trip to the fridge.
2. The Art of Garbage: Students will learn that less is more while picking up wrappers and emptying the overflowing garbage cans in the kitchen and bathroom. Final project will be a curbside gallery on Thursday mornings.
3. Laundry Geography: Upon completion, students will be able to locate the laundry room and demonstrate the correct usage of a laundry basket. Sorting and classifying clothing artifacts and proper drawer placement will also be learned.
4. Passenger's Ed: Students will learn appropriate foot placement and food etiquette in a vehicle setting. Integrates with the Art of Garbage (trash removal) and Laundry Geography (clothing and footwear retrieval).
5. Bedtime Math: In this course, students will be responsible for calculating the correct amount of sleep required, and scheduling bedtimes and waking times with the family's schedule. Course materials include pillow, blanket and alarm clock.
Happy Friday! Class dismissed!