Friday, September 21, 2012

Back to School...Finally!

Okay, the girls are now fully entrenched in their school work. Thing One from home, where she is getting the hang of self-managing the courses she can do on her own (PE, journaling for English, pre-reading Science) and Thing Two at school where, despite the late start, she is caught up on her classes, making friends, and keeping on top of her homework. I'm very proud of them. It's a nice change from last year where it was like pulling teeth to get anything done.

The good news is that with both girls in high school, the school supplies required have decreased dramatically. Yay! We pretty much had enough leftovers from the last few years to get us going. And what I did buy, I bought after the first day of school when everything was on sale. Like 16 cent packages of lined paper! Woohoo!

It's hard to walk through the school supply aisles without scooping armfuls of fresh erasers, pens, notebooks and binders into my cart like I won a shopping spree. My excitement grows and my endorphins go crazy with each funky eraser, cool-coloured pen, and wildly-coloured sticky note. Eeeeeeeeee! So it was hard to restrain myself and to come to grips with the reality that all we needed was some paper, a pencil case, a sketch pad and some pens. Maybe we didn't need the 24 pack of coloured Sharpies but they are a good doodling tool and we might need them for art. We probably didn't need the package of neon sticky notes in all sorts of sizes, but they are so handy for marking things in textbooks. And the erasable gel pens? Well Thing One is always erasing and re-writing her work so those will be useful. And the Wacom Splash drawing tablet...well the girls put most of the money together from odd jobs and chores. I only paid the taxes. So that doesn't really count.

Maybe we will run out of something and I can justify another trip to Staples....

5 comments:

hilljean said...

Why is it that school supplies are just so fun to shop for?! I've always LOVED buying new notebooks, pencils,and paper. So fun. I can't wait til we get to the point where my kids NEED school supplies. Hopefully technology doesn't replace the need for erasers. Heaven forbid.

WhisperingWriter said...

Staples has some great stuff. I like shopping for school supplies but everything can add up when everything is purchased.

Deanna crazed said...

Ah, I love shopping for school supplies! You are right, it's so difficult to not scoop up everything!! But when you think about it, the stuff is soo super cheap, you can hardly pass it up!

Blond Duck said...

Popped in from SITS Sharefest! I still love new school supplies!

Heather Smith said...

So glad you were able to get some good deals! We had less up front school supplies to buy too... but the high school experience has been costing $$ a lot lately... fees, trips, gym uniforms... it's been crazy...