Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Key to Vacation Travel

We went away for the long weekend (BC Day - the first Monday in August). My sisters and I flew to Smithers for a combination memorial/family reunion and my husband and daughter drove up in the car. It's about a 14 hour drive but it saved us from having to rent one there and my daughter is not a huge fan of flying anyway. So the first thing I did when I got to my cousin's house was to pull my car keys out of my purse and put them in my suitcase because frankly they are heavy and belong to the car at the airport, not the one that was being driven to Smithers.

Fast forward 5 days and my husband offers to take my suitcase back in the car rather than having to drag it around and check it. Do you see where this is going? Yes. They departed at 10 am. At 6:45 pm I was on my way to the airport when I had one of those "Oh" moments. "Oh shit, do I have the keys to the car?" After frantically scrabbling around my purse and backpack twice, I was forced to conclude that they were in my suitcase, in the trunk of the Nissan, which was three quarters of the way home. YVR (Vancouver International Airport) is just over an hour from our house, which would have made my poor husband's trip an extra three hours longer if he were to bring my keys to the airport and return home. His ass said "no way" and I could hardly blame it.

BCAA could only offer a tow (only the first 5 km are free so it would have been $200) or a locksmith (on a statutory holiday, after-hours). My feasible options were to stay in Vancouver for the night or to have someone bring the spare keys to the Hyundai at least half way. By the way, it is interesting to note that Vancouver International Airport is not in Vancouver, but in Richmond. Anyway, I digress. My lovely sister-in-law drove my keys to Vancouver and we took the Skytrain out to meet her and retrieve my keys. Then we took the Canada Line back to YVR, got on the shuttle to the long-term parking lot, and finally found Elaine (my Elantra) in A5. By the time we made it home, it was 1:20 am and I didn't make it to bed until 2. Naturally I was not in the mood to get up at 7 for work, so I extended my holidays one more day and went back to sleep.

The moral of the story? Never put your car keys in your suitcase and always leave a buffer day before returning to work. :)


5 comments:

Jayne @ Four Parks, One Day said...

Buffer days are very important and many people don't even consider them.

And I agree about the keys.

Jessica Grace said...

I hate when stuff like that happens. I hope you had a nice time despite it all.

Kim said...

Yes, both very important points! Hopefully your holiday went a little better than the trip home!?

Returning the comment love!

Amy Mekelburg said...

Goodness! What a run around you had! Glad you were able to figure out how to get home. I would have been stumped. lol

annie said...

My husband once left for a business trip with my car keys in his luggage, but I once did the same thing so we are even! It's only funny now.

Good for you for figuring it all out.

Visiting from SITS.
annie
justalittletart.blogspot.com