Thursday, July 26, 2012

Welcome to Camp Gogina

I am not a camper. I dislike nearly everything to with camping. The dirt. The bugs. The smoke. The packing a million supplies. The unpacking dirty, smelly supplies. The dew in the tent. The outhouses.The only two redeeming qualities are wieners on a stick and marshmallows on a stick.Anytime you're putting something edible on a stick you're looking at some good eatin'. Therefore, my idea of "roughing it" is staying at a hotel with a kitchenette. 

Anyway, we went to visit a friend and his son at their campsite recently. We had marshmallows and wieners with us so I was willing to endure some campfire smoke on my clothes and hair. Two hotdogs, three s'mores and two burnt marshmallows later, I had to admit that it was pretty nice. For one, there were miraculously no bugs. No mosquitoes, no flies, no wasps. Very unusual. We went for a hike through the woods to the lake (not the beachy part but the rocky mountainy part) and the view was just gorgeous. The kids decided they wanted to go swimming down at the beach. My friend's son lent the girls his swim trunks and they disappeared for an hour while we visited with a neighbouring campsite. I visited the washroom which had toilets of the flushing variety and even a hand drier. Pretty swanky.

So hold onto your bucket hats. I am actually considering going camping.

2 comments:

J.L. Cole said...

What have you done with Miz Dinah?!

Heather Smith said...

I sent my oldest two camping with their dad... all survived but I don't think I'll be joining them...