Thursday, February 3, 2011

If I may be so bold...

I am not a coffee snob; however, I do appreciate a nice bold roast (Ethical Bean Rocket Fuel, Starbucks Sumatra, Kicking Horse 454 Horse Power).  I will shun the weaker Pike Place in favour of the Komodo Dragon. Bypass the Breakfast Blend for the French Roast.

Why oh why are we having such issues with the coffee at the office? Aside from the fact that we don't grind our beans fresh before brewing, that is. Even so, it is possible to get a good cup of coffee from pre-ground. Finding the Tim Hortons and certain House Blends/Colombian too acidic, I insisted suggested we try a darker roast. But with the volume of java being consumed here on a daily basis, 1lb of Starbucks doesn't go very far. We could buy the big Costco-sized French Roast but it only comes in beans and grinding would be too noisy for our office.

We started buying the Seattle Mountain Sumatra at Costco because you can grind your beans right at the store.  At first it was good but it is increasingly less so.  All of a sudden the colour and flavour is very inconsistent. The last few pots were really weak so I added a whole bunch little extra to the most recent pot and it was like drinking ass water. Or what you would expect ass water to taste like. You know that really expensive Kopi Luwak coffee that is trendy right now?  The one where the Indonesian civet cats eat the coffee cherries and crap out the beans and then people pay a shit-ton of money to drink it? This is what you'd expect coffee that came out of an animal's butt to taste like. (I just want to know who was desperate enough for a caffeine hit to even consider roasting and brewing a log of cat shit.  But I digress...)

We have a nice Cuisinart brewer with a reusable filter that we wash. We are putting in one heaping Tbsp. for every two cups of water, which is what I do at home with my considerably cheaper Oster. The only differences are that I use unbleached filters (which I compost) and I grind my beans fresh. And I buy better coffee.  I suppose that last part might play a small part because my coffee tastes like black nectar from heaven. Still, WTF is wrong with our coffee at work? Is it the grounds, the filter, the brewer, the atmosphere? Is someone adding pencil shavings? I don't get it. I am going to bring in a paper filter and some of my coffee and see if it tastes halfway decent. Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

5 comments:

Monica said...

hahah...love your blog and your writing style!! Hey I'm on my 4th cup of coffee and it's not even 10am...so I can relate!! I'm from New Brunswick and I'm trying to follow as many of my fellow Canadian bloggers as possible. I’m already a follower on GFC. Hope you have a chance to check out my blog, have a look around and maybe, if you haven't already, follow me back!!
Monica
http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

Heather Smith said...

Since I don't drink coffee I can't totally relate... but I am a tea granny and bad tea is worse than drinking dishwater so I can related that way...

Judy said...

I love my hubby's coffe but have few outside coffee places any good. I am a bigger tea drinker and like it made a certain way. When I travel I have to explain to put the tea bag in first and then add boiling water. Finally I add milk in last.

Amy said...

I am rolling right now, and I TOTALLY can relate to this. I've thrown out coffee makers because of this very thing.....although I'm sure it wasn't the coffee makers fault.......probably more because I forgot to wash it out for a little more than a little bit. Thank you for the giggle.

Silverfaerie said...

I know one thing you may suggest that could very possibly fix the problem. Get a Keurig. We have one at my work and it's wonderful! The bossman can have his breakfast blend, my co-worker has his Kona (much stronger), while I can have chai latte or green tea or even apple cider or hot chocolate! There is a plethora of flavors to choose from and each k-cup is sealed with just enough for one serving so it stays fresh until you make it.

The only downside to it really is the cups that get thrown away. But it keep everyone in the office happy with our drink choices.