Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mares Eat Oats and Tims Eat Oats


Now I love me a good toasted 12-grain bagel with butter but fibre aside, it's not the healthiest choice in terms of fat and calories. I just tried Tim Hortons' new mixed-berry oatmeal this week and I have to say it was a warm bit of goodness in my tummy. I like oatmeal anyway, so it wasn't a hardship to give up my bagel in lieu of a cholesterol-lowering bowl of porridge. With a fraction of the fat and sodium, it was definitely a better choice and it warmed the cockles of my heart. The only downside is the higher sugar content in the mixed-berry and maple brown sugar toppings; however, you can also get it in plain (which you could learn to like just as much).
Plain Oatmeal160 cal2.5 g fat
Mixed-berry Oatmeal210 cal2.5 g fat
Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal220 cal2.5 g fat

Starbucks has a similar offering; they came out with their Perfect Oatmeal last year, which is also yummy and a similar serving size.


Plain Oatmeal140 cal2.5 g fat
Brown Sugar Oatmeal190cal2.5 g fat
Dried Fruit Oatmeal240 cal2.5 g fat
I don't know if they offer the dried fruit in Canada; I haven't seen it but I only had the oatmeal when it first came out and it had brown sugar.  Again, as much as I love scones, muffins, breakfast sandwiches, cookies...it's a much better choice.

I think I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!  But since it's not a work day I will make it at home.

Appropriately enough, The Oatmeal is one of my favourite sources of humour, satire, and sarcasm. Even if you don't like your oats rolled or steel-cut, I guarantee you will enjoy a helping of this. Go get yourself a bowl!

1 comment:

Captain Dumbass said...

I'm on early shifts soon, think I'll try some along with my double-double.