Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's Hip to Be Square, Homies

I'm a pretty hip mom...wait, that sounds square. Umm...Yo yo what up, g? Baby mama's a fly shorty rollin' in mah hooptie with mah homies. Word! Yeah, that's not working either.

My point is that as a mom I'm pretty relaxed with certain things such as clothing and makeup (as long as it's not slutty) and music (as long as it's not too profane).

I like to rock out to the latest Top 40 Pop, Hip Hop & Alternative. Some songs are so damn catchy that I can forgive the trashy appearance of their performers. But if you really listen to the lyrics, is it any wonder kids are growing up so fast and furious? Take Kesha, for example:
Take it Off
Now we lookin' like pimps in my gold Trans Am
Got a water bottle full of whiskey in my handbag
Got my drunk text on, I'll regret it in the mornin'
But tonight I don't give a I don't give a I don't give a
There's a place downtown where the freaks all come around
It's a hole in the wall, it's a dirty free for all
And they turn me on, when they take it off
When they take it off, everybody take it off.
Girl really does like her whiskey (and not even the good stuff):
Tik Tok
Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
Grab my glasses, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back
And then you've got thinly disguised sexual references, like Kardinal Offishall's
Body Bounce
Ahhh shit here we go again,
I'm lookin' at you but I'm seein' your friends,
Both my hands fit around her waist,
Her asstronauts takin' up my space, yo,
I'm about to launch my rocket,
Take off your clothes and reach in my pocket,
Grab the controller, similar to the Wii,
It's a game and Imma let you beat me
...(blah blah chorus)
I love the way you make that body bounce,
Lovin' how you work it,
Work it, work it
...(somethin' somethin')
Show me a little work,
Imma take them calories off with that shirt,
...(yadda yadda)
So resilient,
I like how on the inside its like a wetsuit, brilliant,
Water resistant up to 9 inches,
Wrap that let me open it up like Christmas,
I'm about the same height as inches
Now, I actually like these songs. Their rhythm and groove is very catchy. But there's something about hearing your 11-year-old and her friends singing about brushing their teeth with whiskey that makes you go, "Say wha?"

Peace out,
D to the G

3 comments:

C.G. the Foodie said...

Yeah I love the songs too but listening to high school kids sing along often makes me scratch my head and wonder...

Fickle Cattle said...

I totally agree. I sometimes hear my younger prepubescent cousins sing these songs and I'm like, do you even know what they mean? And also, I hope you don't know what they mean.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

I feel old when I talk about music with my 12 year old... and listening to her sing some of them makes me shake my head too...

I mentioned you in a post today, stop by and check it out here http://www.actingbalanced.com/2010/09/more-questions-and-answers.html if you have time