Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More Occupations I'm Not Qualified For: Food Demonstrator & Prep Cook

Allow me to introduce you to...
The Mandolin of Death

Bum-bum-buuuuummmmm....

I practically severed the top of my thumb with this baby.  How, you ask?  Well, I egotistically thought I was too good for the safety guard.  Evidently I was wrong, as I jammed my thumb rather than the sweet potato straight down onto the blade, cutting through my thumbnail and thumb.  A couple more millimetres (um...1/8th of an inch?) and I would have been picking it out of the bloody veggies.  I won't gross you out with a picture of my thumb, but I'm sure you can imagine how nasty it was.

So I should probably stay away from demonstrating these things at tradeshows and malls.

Luckily, hubby was able to wash the blood off the razor blade of death and disfigurement, discard the stained tubers, and slice some fresh ones using the proper safety guard so we could still enjoy fried sweet potato slices with dinner.  Ones that were not infused with blood and tears.  Maybe some sweat.  Haha...private joke.  (There's a sushi place near my office that offers "sweat potato" on their menu.  Mmmm...sweat potato....)

2 comments:

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

ouch, girl! no more sharp objects for you :)

HulaBuns said...

Sweat potato! LOL, that's great. Glad you did not lose any appendages. You could not pay me to try to use that thing, even with the safety guard. I am really accident prone. :)