Sunday, June 6, 2010

For the Love of Reading!

I love to read.  I devour books like a pig in a truffle pile.  I inhale pages like bacon-scented breakfast air and then sniff around for more.

It's not something J-girl usually enjoys doing but all that changed after the first Twilight movie.  We bought her the set of books and she plugged away at them until she had read the last page of Breaking Dawn.  These are big books for an 11-year-old, and she did me proud.

Since J-girl has not been to school in about 3 weeks, she has been spending a lot more time reading.  She has done a bit of homework here and there that the teacher has sent home, watched a bit of TV, of course, and played on the computer.  She has learned to use Powerpoint, Photoshop and Word, and has written stories and created presentations on topics she loves: animals and vampires.  She has used the internet for inspiration and instruction on drawing, something that used to frustrate her due to her perfectionist tendencies.

The biggest accomplishment, though, has been reading.  She went through the Twilight series, Gifted series, My Sister The Vampire series, and of late has finished the first two books in the Vampire Diaries series.  A tear of pride welled in my eye when I got home from work to find that she had read the entire 492-page book in one day.  That's my girl!

I went out and bought some more books to fuel her reading fire.  The other night we lay in bed with our novels and read in peaceful content.  It was a beautiful thing. *tear*

2 comments:

whippedcrema said...

This just warms my cockles. I'm glad J-girl has finally joined the club!

Miz Dinah said...

Me too! I'm glad to hear your cockles are warm. I hate cold cockles.