Friday, June 11, 2010

Baby Talk

Every kid has a special vocabulary borne of twisted consonants and mixed up vowels...

For example, in daughter-speak:
Frimp - Shrimp, as in frimp n cheese pizza.
D-We-D - DVD. Incidentally the first D-We-D we owned was Freck.
Ha-capes and Hadacados - Pancakes and avocadoes, not eaten together of course.  Although that sounds kind of good, actually...

From my brother's mouth:
Feet Keener - Street Cleaner, which passed by our house in Toronto regularly and scared the bejeezus out of him.
Fruck - Truck; most exciting was the Fire Fruck!

My sister's vocab:
She-It - I know what you're thinking. We thought my brother had taught her to say it. Then we realized she was saying "See it".
Babin' suit - Bathing suit.  During one of her regular wardrobe changes she was known to strut out in her babin' suit.

I don't recall too many weird words from my childhood, although I'm sure there are a few.  My aunt always remembers how articulate I was at age 3 when she asked me what I was drawing: "Auntie Le-o-na, I'm trying to con-cen-trate!"  And my other aunt, who was sniffing my neck in the car, "Auntie Janet, you snucked all my perfume!"  And to this day, my mom always wonders what I was dreaming about when I woke up screaming, "Carbitis carbitis!"

These are the things that will follow you around forever.

3 comments:

The Lucy and Dick Show said...

We talk baby talk to our cat and it is so much fun! Really... She can't be scarred for life with speech impediments and the other cats will never make fun of her, so who cares?
Her favorite is Meowf! (Chicken! Now!)

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I want to know what "carbitis" is!

And this? --> Incidentally the first D-We-D we owned was Freck...
made me snort, so thanks for that.

CynthiaK said...

Carbitis...that's a tough one.

I remember being young and singing "What's new pussycat, jo-many."

To this day I have no idea what a "jo-many" is.