Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day, eh!

Greetings from the Great White North. You know, the place above the 49th parallel, just next door to Santa? I'm shivering in my igloo as we speak, as it's a chilly 28 degrees...celsius. That's (let's see, quick conversion, carry the one, check google converter) 82 degrees fahrenheit. Good thing my igloo is made of finger-jointed wood and vinyl siding!

Today marks the 142nd anniversary of the confederation of the original four provinces that formed Canada in 1867: Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. (Incidentally, British Columbia was among the last provinces to join the federation, but I'll celebrate today anyway!)

Canadians. We wear tuques not hats. We drink pop not soda. We spell colour, honour and neighbour with a u. Our dollar coin is called a loonie because it features a Canadian loon, and the two dollar coin is a toonie because it is worth two loonies. Our beer has a 5.5 - 7% alcohol content but it costs more. Our cheese and milk also cost more but there is no beer in it. Our gas is blended with ethanol so I guess it has alcohol in it. We celebrate Thanksgiving in October and spend the next two months shopping for Christmas. We spend the next three months paying off the credit card bills. While we toboggan down the hill. Wearing tuques. This concludes our history lesson for today. I hope you were paying attention because there will be a quiz later.

So raise your beer and give a cheer: I AM CANADIAN! So take off, eh?

1 comment:

Fragrant Liar said...

Well, I do love history and I do love Canada, so thanks a bunch for the info. Happy Canada Day!

I went to Victoria and Vancouver, BC many years ago, and I loved them both! I also visited Calgary to pick up my Siamese cat and brought her back to Texas with me. I loved that girl. I plan to go back to Canada one of these days. Staying awhile would suit me fine.