Sunday, August 17, 2008

Welcome to Whistler!

I'm in Whistler, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics (well, the mountain-dependant sports anyway, the rest are in Vancouver). We are lucky to be staying in the "cabin" we won in an auction, which is actually a 5-bedroom, 3-bathroom, 3-level chalet with 2 laundry rooms, a hot tub and a cappuccino machine. I don't want to go home. This place is lovely with all the wood beams, spiral staircases, sunny decks.... The owners live in Vancouver, and this is their vacation home. It's worth over a million dollars.

We went to the first annual Cheese Rolling Competition. It was so hot I thought the cheese would run rather than roll down the grassy hill. Tried some amazing cheeses, like barbecue-flavoured cheese curds, wasabi cheese, cumin cheese, and cracked pepper cheese. I like cheese. Sat on a rocky slope with sticks poking me in the butt until half my ass went to sleep. Then we packed 'er in and took the Cheese Bus back down to the village.

Went to Lululemon. Resisted buying anything (not even a hairband!). It's so trendy I don't think they ever have sales. Saw a little girl buying an overpriced hoodie for school. She was so small the smallest size was swimming on her. Made me kind of sick that her mom would waste that kind of money on a 10-year-old. Went to Helly Hansen where everything was 30% off. Their change rooms have swinging doors that don't lock. I was halfway into a pair of shorts (that's as far as they would go; they were a size too small!) when a guy opened the door looking for his girlfriend who had just vacated that same change room. Made an O face whilst grasping at my shorts in a half-pike position and grabbing for the door. Didn't buy any shorts. Or the $150 jacket I fell in love with.

Well, I'm off to the gondola and then finish packing to go home. I've procrastinated enough. Everyone is ready to go and I'm still in my jammies.

No comments: